Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:16pm

Post Subject: stove

i have a torgem that feeds 2 rads on my 40 ft narrowboat and it is a bit worse for ware any body got any suggestions for a replacement of a similar size stove chimney goes at an angle out the roof so not sure how to do if i get a new stove as it will be different unless some has a torgem they dont want as a straight swap

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:33am

Post Subject: stove

As far as I have been able to ascertain from Google there is nothing special about a Torgem stove so I think one of your forst tasks is to measure it and then take a tape measure around a few stove suppliers/chandlers to identify a suitable replacement. Make sure the new stove has a similar chimney collar in both location and size plus a boiler option. Then have a good look at BS 8511:2010 and http://www.soliftec.com/Boat%20Stoves%201-page.p df. Typically the chimney pipe will fit into the stove collar and through the roof casting. The roof castings are often tapered top and bottom to allow the pipe to sit at an angle. The gaps between the pipe and the two collars are normally packed with glass fibre rope, leaving a recess that is then filled with fire cement or high temperature silicon to seal it. I see nothing difficult about an angled pipe as along as the angle small enough to allow the rope packing to be fitted. If not you can have the pipe cut and welded (if it is not cast iron) to form a shallow dogleg. BS 8512 is not mandatory and does not form part of the present BSS standards but it is best practice. If the main idea of the post is to source a second hand stove then once you have identified a suitable candidate start scouring the various second hand sites like Gumtree and looking in your local âFree Addsâ type publication. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.