Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Teabar
Teabar

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:33am

Post Subject: ribble link

Hi,I have a 40ft narrowboat with a vetus 3 cylinder eng, M3 27 hp vetus stern& prop.I am thinking of going over the ribble link, would you think there is enough power in this eng to make the trip as I am told it is against the tide. thank you.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:41am

Post Subject: ribble link

First of all I very much doubt that the whole journey will be against the tide because your entrance to the link proper from the River Douglas has a comparatively small tidal window. I do not think absolute power has any bearing on your ability to travel the link. The speed you are able to maintain and the ability of your cooling system to cope are. I had hoped that BW/CART would have published minimum speeds requirements but they do not seem to have done. I have a feeling I once read 6 mph but can not verify that. Because of the potential dangers I think it is best if you use the contact details on canalrivertrust.org.uk/canals-and-rivers/ribble- link and ask for official guidance. I think you would be well advised to have a good thrash up a river when the present floods have subsided to test your cooling systems ability to cool for long periods and use a GPS to assess your speed. Even if you are slower than ideal you will have the option of going to Preston Docks to await the next suitable tide to access the actual link. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.