Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
rsweeney...
rsweeney...

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:16pm

Post Subject: Liverpool boats

hi I am considering buying a Sail-away narrow boat made by Liverpool boats can you offer any advice about these boats regards Rob

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:59am

As I think they stopped trading under that name over a year ago I think you need to take care that nothing has happened to the hull in that time. They are just basic builds of which there are many hundreds on the system. In my view their method of fitting the rudder is not of the best but as long as you check it each time the boat is out for blacking it is adequate. Of more importance is the time it takes to fit out such a hull. It will be at least twice as expensive and twice as long as you probably think so many people simply give up and leave the boat to rust away. Also make sure you understand how the Recreational Craft Directive affects you. Also get hold of the Boat Safety Scheme guidance book so you produce a boat that will pass its BSS examinations. Tony Brooks PS When you get it take the windows out and reseal them. This is nothing to do with the makers, it is just that this is often a weak spot, even on full builds.

sooty1957...
sooty1957...

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:37pm

I bought a Cheshire Narrowboat sailaway 3 years ago from Lymn.It is a good shell for the lower end price range. All of tony's points are spot on ! I logged over a thousand hours labour and spent over £10 000, having sourced a lot of 'stuff' at lower prices. If you have the time, stamina and discipline you will reap the rewards ! P.S. get it re blacked after no longer than 12 month

rsweeney...
rsweeney...

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:05am

Tony great advice Thanks Best Regards Rob

rsweeney...
rsweeney...

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:06am

Sooty sorry to hear about the issues you have had, again thanks for the feed back Best Regards Rob

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.