Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Thejohndor...
Thejohndor...

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:09pm

Post Subject: Rudder bearings

I currently have a rudder bearing that is fitted inside my engine bay but water runs through this when moving how do I stop this.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56am

Dear Raymond, It is far from clear to me exactly what you mean. This question has the feel of relating to a GRP or wooden cruiser and if it does the solution may well be different to a narrowboat. Even if it is a narrowboat the vast variation in designs make sit almost impossible to answer sensibly. Please can you email a photo of the area to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk so I can see exactly what you are talking about. Tony Brooks

Thejohndor...
Thejohndor...

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:18pm

Apologies Tony for lack of info, i am not near the boat a twelve foot broadbeam to take a picture but the bearing is a warstock with a nylon insert fastened down with four bolts water comes up through the nylon insert and tiller shaft. regards ray

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:29pm

Warstock seems to be the name of a manufacturing company who only show stove flues on their website - so not much help there. If you have an upper bearing housing thats crews off you could try getting it machined to accept a lip seal. You could also try cutting several large split rubber washers from tyre sidewalls as long as they are flat or old conveyor belt and pushing them, around the shaft and tight up under the hull. Space the slits so they are well away from each other and secure with a jubilee clip around the shaft to stop them dropping. That may help, however if the shaft or bearings are worn you will still have problems. It may help if you fit a greaser and try to keep the rudder tube full of grease. I must point out once again that it is all but impossible to help without the information I requested. Tony Brooks

Thejohndor...
Thejohndor...

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:44pm

many thanks tony the picture of the bearing was on the midland chandlers website. when i can i will forward a picture of mine. regards

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.