Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
arry-p...
arry-p...

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:24pm

Post Subject: calorifier

Hi, I will become the owner of my first boat at the end of January. It currently has a calorifier and hot water tank, can an immersion heater (240v) be added to an existing tank as well? 'Arry

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:11pm

First of all I must specify that my answer assumes the 240v wiring on the boat is according to the regulations and is suitably "earthed", but it may well not be. If the calorifier has a blanked off immersion heater boss fitted then it is fairly straight forward to fit a heating element BUT may marina shoreline supplies are limited to maybe as little as 6 amps so do not fit a kW heater. If you do it will probably be unusable most of the time because it will trip the shore supply. fit no more than a 1.5kW heater. If the calorifier does not have a suitable boss (It may be hidden under insulation then you might be able to fit an suitable Essex flange to the calorifier but as they operate at a higher pressure than many domestic systems it might be more prone to leaks if not very carefully done. Tony Brooks

arry-p...
arry-p...

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:19pm

Thankyou Tony

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.