Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Hornblower...
Hornblower...

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:45pm

Post Subject: GRP-Cruiser on canals

Hey, after several years of hiring narrowboats I wanted an own boat. As I live in Germany I decided for a GRP-Cruiser (Mayland Sapphire), as I can have it here with me in D and trail it to GB in my summerholidays. Now I need some infos about trailboats on narrow canals. 1) Is there a list with slipways and cranes? 2) How can I find the nearest petrolstation, are there guides or maps to find them? 3) Could you please name sources for any informations about trailboats in GB (links, books, communities)? I wish you a good slide into the new year :-) (do you say it like that in GB?)

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:13am

Post Subject: GRP-Cruiser on canals

1. try http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/g uides but this is a horrible site and it is easy to get lost within it. Its a disgrace to both British Waterways who set it up and C&RT who now run the waterways. Also try http://www.canalplan.org.uk/. 2. If you have a satnav for the car with UK maps I reckon that is your best bet for finding local petrol stations that you can not see. Very few canal boatyards sell petrol. 3. I have no idea because most of us just consider trail boaters as boaters. Try the Canal World Web Forum where there is a vast range of boaters and expertise. I am sure you have come across Nicholsons guides and others when on the hire boats. Although there are many GRP boats on some inland waterways please bear in mind that in a collision with a steel boat yours will probably come off second best and many steel boat owners will be reluctant to share wide locks with you. Not because they are snooty but because they are concerned about what their boat might do to yours if things go wrong. Although this is to be trailed Also be aware that if it was left afloat in the UK during the winter a moving boat might push ice through your hull. This is easy to guard against if you hang plywood sheets down the side of the boat. I hope that this all works out well for you and a happy new year. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.22 seconds.