Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
kircgop...
kircgop...

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:47pm

Post Subject: solar panel controller

I have an 85w solar panel with 10amp controller on my boat. I wish to upgrade to a 150w panel. In the real world I notice that these are rated at 8.8-9 amps. Will the 10amp controller be ok or should I upgrade to a 20amp model?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:05pm

Are you keeping the 85 watt one and parallelling it up with the new one? How is this panel mounted, is it angled to the sun or horizontal? IF the panel is horizontal I very much doubt you will ever obtain the rated output so I would have thought the 10 amp controller would be fine. I suspect it would also be OK if both panels are parallelled but in this case you might overload it in high summer. However even if you did and it packed up you would be little worse off because you would have to buy a 20 amp one anyway. One other point. If you are thinking about an MPPT controller (I suspect your 10 amp one is a PWM one). then ideally both panels will operate at the same volatge and you would connect them in series as long as the combined volatge did not exceed the controller's rating. Beware of EBay MPPT controller bargains, at least one is not as described. Tony Brooks

JohnHinch...
JohnHinch...

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:47am

Don't know if it help but my 100watt panel was supplied with flat to the roof fixings. I searched high and low for some triangular brackets that would allow me to raise and tilt the panel towards the sun. I did find some but have been informed by Jannel Cruisers of Burton that they now have the ones I was looking for in stock. They are triangular and the panel can be raised and tilted to the required position and locked in place by a knurled knob. Just thought it might help. John Hinch.

kircgop...
kircgop...

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:05pm

To John Hinch; thanks for heads-up on triangle mounts. Pete Kirchoff

kircgop...
kircgop...

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:07pm

And thank you to Tony for reply.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.