Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
xxmarypxx
xxmarypxx

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:30pm

Post Subject: cruise route help needed

Hello, am going on a two week cruise starting at Wootton Wawen and want to take in Birmingham, Warwick and Stratford-upon-Avon. I thought I could do this in a figure of eight starting at Wooton then cruising up, through Lapworth, onto Birmingham then coming down, through Lapworth again and down to Warwick then across to Stratford. On closer inspection I can see the river doesn't join between Stratford and Warwick. Therefore I'm wondering if following the same route and doing the top bit (Birmingham) then going as far down as Hatton top lock, then turning and going back to Lapworth then down through Wooton and onto Stratford then finishing back at Wooton would be possible in two weeks? I need help.. haha! thanks :)

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:18am

The shortest answer is Yes or NO. The reason is that you give no information about your crew, numbers, fitness. You also do not tell me how many hours a day you cruise or how much time you spend off your boat sightseeing. My feeling is that the answer is yes an with time to spare because that sounds like about 7 to 8 days to me. However have a play with this website to be sure. With a fit crew of 4 or more and cruising 6 hours a day you could look at going via the Avon, Worcester & Birmingham canal, then down to Warwick & return. Have a play with http://www.canalplan.org.uk to find all your options.

xxmarypxx
xxmarypxx

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:32pm

thanks for your speedy and helpful reply! There will be two of us (our honeymoon) and we are both 30 and fit. We usually cruise for around 8-9hrs a day and this time around we would like days here and there to go to Warwick Castle and Cadburys World etc so yes we'd like to split our time within the 2 weeks between days criusing and sightseeing, Sounds quite doable then! the main things I want to do are The Boot Inn at Lapworth (special place for us) then Birmingham and Cadburys world, the Shrewley Tunnel and Warwick Castle and Stratford. So hopefully we should cover it all. Will check out the link you posted thank you and any other suggestions people have for things to see on this route then please let us know!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:42pm

Nice walk through a farmyard and across fields to a NT property at Lapworth, but please make sure it is open on the day you go. We found Knowl a very pleasant village/small town. Maybe 10 minutes walk from the canal. Visit Mary Ardens Farm at Wilmcote. Its a short walk from the canal. Bus from Wootton to Henley in Arden for a couple of hours off the boat. Get everything off the roof well before Stratford. There is a very low railway bridge. If mooring in Stratford expect foreign boarders, they mean no harm but do not seem to know the boat is as good as your home.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.52 seconds.