Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Simbo1
Simbo1

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:24pm

Post Subject: Chimney Sweep

Hi. Ever time I open my "Boatman" stove door to put more coke on the fire I get a lot of smoke coming into the cabin. I assume the chimney needs sweeping and am finding it very difficult to find a sweep who will do it. Any advice or solutions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chimney Sweep
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52am

Post Subject: Chimney Sweep

Stoves will do that if there is insufficient draw on the chimney and that could be because the whole thing is too cool, chimney & stove, lack of flue height, or a down-draft caused by wind/local topography. An undersized flue or, as you say, a partially blocked flue will also cause it. Have you had the throat plate (if there is one) out of the stove to check for debris on top of it? I understand that a traditional way of dealing with a blocked flue is to cut a suitable holly branch and pull this through the flue several times. If the stove has a throat plate you will have to remove it to get access to the lower end of the flue. However if there has been a lot of wood burnt, especially unseasoned wood, then that might not remove the tar stuck to the flue. In that case try burning one of the special "logs" or powder sold to remove such tar. If it will not shift or if you have been burning a lot of ordinary coal then I fear it may be a DIY job. Clas Ohlson sell wire "sweeps" brushes in two sizes that you can tie a length of rope to a pull through the flue.If after removing the throat plate and inspecting the flue you find it is not blocked try running the stove on high for a while before opening the door AND open the door slowly, first just opening it a crack. This sill allow such draw that there is to gradually pull clean air into the stove and up the chimney purging it of smoke/fumes. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.