Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stevedal
stevedal

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:47pm

Post Subject: Water heating

Firstly,many thanks to Tony Brooks for previous advice; I've used this service in the past and the response has been excellent and even mercurial! My narrow boat haas water heating courtesy of a Eberspacher D4W unit supplying a small calorifier as the previous engine was air cooled. We now have a Thorneycroft 4-cyl Misubishi, and I'd like to use the water heating facility provided by this and also the D4W as well. I understand that I could use a dual coil calorifier, but the only space for this is at a level higher than the top of the engine. Is is still possible to achieve this? Regards.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:32pm

I must ask why is that the only space? You can get horizontal and vertical twin coil calorifiers in a variety of sizes so I would have thought it should be possible to fit one or the other with minimal height difference. If the Eberspacher uses an open header tank then that should be above the height to the calorifier. As the calorifier engine circuit is is in effect sealed then providing you can bleed all the air out of it then I suppose it may work but as air tends to gather at the highest point in a system I think that you will always have air-locking problems. Is is possible to fit a remote engine expansion tank above the level of the calorifier and change the cap on the engine for a non-sprung seal one? If so you could just put a bleed screw at the highest point in the calorifier circuit and as there will then be a head loosening it will allow the air to be bled out.

stevedal
stevedal

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58pm

I thought you might ask that! The boat has a v-hull, so space at the sides of the engine is limited, and at 35ft boat space is at a premium anyway. The original owner who fitted the D4W followed the instructions to the letter and kept the heater at the absolute lowest point in the system. I know there is room for manoeuvre here, but I'm trying to keep the calorifier in the same plane as now as it fits my current re-fitting ideas. I wondered about fitting a sealed engine filler cap, so thanks for the tip.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.