Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
thomasd
thomasd

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:13pm

Post Subject: Fault Central Heating Boiler Alde 2928 Comfort

Ingnition light comes on but boiler does not fire up

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:40pm

It helps if questioners give more information rather than leaving me to guess. Is this boiler new to you, if so then did you push the numbered control knob DOWN to bypass the flame failure. If not it will never light. The amber lamp should not simply come on, mine flashes as the igniter clicks and produces a spark. If it does not flash then I think the igniter may be faulty. It is the rectangular thing hanging below the plastic control aperture. If the bulb is flashing and you know that you have gas then my guess is that the pilot light is blocked with dust/rust/spiders although it might be a failure in the flame detection system. As I do not know your competence with gas and to remove the burner assembly would require you to disconnect the supply to the boiler I should advise that you contact Alde for a service engineer's contact details. However mine fails to ignite about once every three years and last time I found a way to attempt to solve it without getting involved with the gas. If you take the bottom cover off you will see perhaps 6 to 8 inches above the floor a little plastic/mica window into the burner area that is held on with three little screws. If you take two out and allow the metal ring to swing down you can take the window away and then look into the burner witha tourch. You will see the pilot burner closest to you and it is an upright with a hole near the base topped off with a flying saucer shaped thing. Operate the igniter and watch for sparks. If there are none then you know it is an igniter or wiring fault. If there is a spark get hold of a can of air cleaner . This is an aerosol that produces a blast of "air". Fit the tube to the can and use that to blast into the lower hole and as far round the rim of the "flying saucer" as you can. Now a major problem involving loss of eyebrows. The aerosol probably uses propane as a propellant and that blast of air may also be propane so one way or another you tend to get a build up of gas around the burner and you may cause a minor explosion that comes out of the window and into your eyes so wear goggles. Try to ignite the burner. It will be difficult and might not ignite properly until you put the window back. As the flue is open the "explosion" cannot do any real damage but its a bit off putting. This must be strictly down to decide if you want to try blowing out the burner and you can not blame either the magazine or myself if anything goes wrong, but I have done it myself. Tony Brooks. PS once you have watched the engineer clean the burner assembly I doubt you would call them out again.

thomasd
thomasd

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:37pm

Thank you very much for your advice I will give it a go. Sorry for not providing any details.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.59 seconds.