Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
batman
batman

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:13pm

Post Subject: Engine stop

I have a Barruss shire 3 cylinder the engine was part flooded covering the starter motor the starter motor is ok now after refurbish it starts the engine ok but i cannot switch off the engine using the stop button, the engine has to be stopped manually is there a fuse blown can any one help please

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:36am

First we have to establish if its a mechanical problem with the stop solenoid or an electrical fault. My first thoughts are it could be either. Use a voltmeter o see if you get voltage at the solenoid when the button is pressed. If not then I suspect that if you search along the main wiring harness you will find a large multi-plug. These are often low down so it may well have flooded and now be suffering from corrosion. I do not know the Barrus engines very well but there is often an in-line fuse supplying all the engine circuits but if that blew I would have expected other engine electrical failures as well. It is still worth have a good search around for it or try phoning Barrus with your engine number if you do not have a manual. As you say that you can operate the stop manually it implies and external solenoid so a it should be easy to assess the stiffness of the linkage and the actual solenoid movement. It is entirely possible that the solenoid got flooded as well and the armature has now rusted to a degree so it is too stiff to operate electrically. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:14am

PS Just found this:- http://www.barrus.co.uk/pdfs/RDG6510_Issue7_Shir e06_Complete_Manual.pdf. It shows there is a dedicated stop fuse but the photo is not large enough for me to identify the area to look in. Later build engine manuals are on the Barrus site.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.