Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
collectors
collectors

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:37pm

Post Subject: Shunt or coil????

Hi, I have seen a few articles on boaters using 200 amp (& more) shunts to monitor the amperage of large banks batteryâs on boats. Many seemed to forget that the 2 sensing cables coming of the shunt need to be protected as they are quite often 1mm in size & if nicked & shorted out would certainly get very hot. (Actually! Go bang with a bank of batteries behind it). Question is! Could the shunts be done away with & current coils/sensors be used instead to work in a similar way to a clamp meter. Or is this type of monitoring not the same as a shunt. It would certainly be safer. Link to type of coil I was looking at. http://www.inpowerdirect.com/Products/DCS/DCS_se nsors.html Many thanks. Chris.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:39pm

I can see no reason why the coil would not work, but the meter has to be matched because you still have a live supply to the coil. I note the diagram does not show this live cable as being fused, but I think you should be able to fuse it if the meter does not have inbuilt protection. Fusing the supply on this system would probably produce a lower error than fusing both leads on a shunted meter. I could not find a price on the site and looking at the suggested applications I suspect they are sold at a premium, plus the UK taxes on imports. Tony Brooks

collectors
collectors

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:12am

Hi Tony, thanks for getting back. The company in the link above sells the coils at around £18/20 , which was fine. But the £40/50 shipping they wanted was a bit to much. Unfortunately! They donât have an EU outlet. One other thing you maybe able to help with? I have seen some in the uk & some of the coils are rated at (lets say) 100-600amp. Do I assume the readings on the meter wonât be registered below the 100amp?? Or is this not correct. Thanks again. Chris

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:06pm

To be honest I have no idea because coils such as we are discussing are not a "normal" boating item although I can see their worth. You really need to contact the vendor (Ebay vendor may say anything he thinks you want to hear) and ask exactly what it means. It may mean it will work any matched meter scaled between 0 - 100 amps and 0 - 600amps. In which care the difference would be that the ability to measure fractions of an amp would be less on the 600 amp one than on the 100 amps one, but I do not know. Please let us all know if you manage to find out. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.