Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Puppies...
Puppies...

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:08pm

Post Subject: Anti-freeze

I am told that I should change the anti-freeze in my boat every 2 years. Why should this be so?, Can Tony tell me a little bit about the properties of antifreeze and is there an additive on the market that can be used instead of total replenishing.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26pm

Post Subject: Anti-freeze

What you say is only correct if you are using the basic "blue" type antifreeze. You can get antifreeze that has a life of 5 or maybe 10 years if you are willing to pay enough. It is not the antifreeze that gets "used up". Its the corrosion inhibitors that it contains so if you do not change it at the recommended intervals the engine is unlikely to freezer but it might get eaten away from the inside out - especially if any of it is made form a light alloy. Think anodes. There is a product that is claimed to work for life but when I looked at it for a previous reader it was likley to cost, I think, about £300 and possibly more if you have a large skin tank. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.70 seconds.