Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
thomasd...
thomasd...

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:23am

Post Subject: Central Heating Boiler

Thank you Tony for your reply 2 weeks ago, the heating boiler Alde 2928 Comfort is about 12 years old. The pilot flame goes on but does not fire up. I have turned the boiler thermostat up and also the room thermostat. But the pilot flame goes out after approx 30 seconds. Can you help please?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:01pm

I am sorry but when you expect me to spend time going back through the questions to read what I advised rather than just appending this question to the last thread I tend to get a bit annoyed - especially as I have already advised that you contact Alde for details of a local engineer. I still think it is a problem with the flame failure device, probably caused by a blockage in the pilot burner assembly but you obviously think differently. Neither the magazine nor myself can advise someone who we have no knowledge of to indulge in work on the gas system. I told you as much as I felt able last time. I think your pilot flame is too small so if my tip last time did not work for you GET AN ENGINEER and watch him do the job. Tony Brooks

thomasd...
thomasd...

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:50pm

Unlike you we are new to computers and this website. My wife and I find your reply rude and will be cancelling our subscription.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39pm

I am sorry that you find my reply rude, especially as I took trouble to not to make my feelings about your apparent conduct clear. You had a very comprehensive reply to a very curt question within a few minutes of your posting allowing for typing time. You appear take two weeks to think about it and then come back with a very slightly more informative question that is basically a repeat of your first in which it appears you decided that my initial diagnosis was faulty and that by simply re-asking the same question you would get a different answer. I take great offence at that type of conduct, especially when you seem to have ignored my initial advice to call an Alde engineer. I am not paid to answer questions on the forum and do it simply to try to help other boaters. Between the forum and my website I probably answer tens of questions a week, normally on the same day of asking, so when people seem to deliberately make things difficult it wastes time and is exceptionally annoying. I do not represent the magazine although I try to help its readers. Please do not be tempted to use my free email advice service in place of this forum because my refusal to spend time on your questions will obviously offend you. Tony Brooks

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:15pm

For others who may read this thread. Both this and the original question are about a gas appliance and there are regulations and (legal) requirements in respect of gas installations on boats. Livaboard boats, hire boats, and possible shared ownership boats almost certainly require people working on the gas systems to be Gassafe (was CORGI) qualified and endorsed LPG, Marine. In neither question was the status of the boat even mentioned and the fact that the questions were asked implies the questioner is not so qualified. People working on the gas systems of private âholidayâ boats are only subject to the BSS and that simply requires âcompetenceâ in gas work. Before explaining to questioners how to undertake gas work I need to protect myself and the magazine by trying to assess the questionerâs âcompetenceâ because if an accident did happen and they were proved to be not competent then there is every chance the H&SE and/or the courts could come after myself or the magazine on the grounds that we encouraged the questioner to undertake work that they were not qualified to for. The structure of the two questions and the way the second was basically a repeat of the first suggests very strongly that the questioner is far from competent to undertake work on the gas system. This left me just one option, which is to advise they employ and engineer. I actually went further than this in the first question and explained how a cure MIGHT be effected without any recourse to working on the actual gas system. Regrettably much of the forst reply seemed to have been ignored. The second question gave no indication that the questioner properly understood even basic practical work let alone gas work. It also made no reference to having fully understood what I said in my first reply or gave any significant feedback on what had been done apart from turning up two thermostats. In fact it suggested to me that the questioner might have been trying to entrap me into telling them how to do gas work whilst apparently âunqualifiedâ â that is probably ânot competentâ. I felt my only course of action was to be very forceful in telling them to employ an engineer. This saga is a perfect illustration of why it is important to make sure questions are unambiguous and give as much information as possible. Any question that seems complicated may be better conducted via email so I can ask for more details without it being made public. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.37 seconds.