Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
zakaone
zakaone

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:11am

Post Subject: Navigation

Is the Stroudwater canal from Saul Junction to Oxford open and navigable I have a interactive route planner that seems to think so. Please can you confirm that this route is navigable to all boaters asap?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:28pm

As I understand it the Stroudwater canal is at the western end of the Thames and Severn canal. Whilst its true certain parts of the Stroudwater Canal have been recently opened it will be a great number of years before the Thames and Severn canal is re-opened. I think your route will be Gloucester & Sharpness to Gloucester, Severn to Teweksbury, Avon (license required) to Stratford on Avon, Stratford canal to Kingswood junction, GU to Napton Junction and then the South Oxford to Oxford. If you do not want to pay the Avon license then go further north on the Severn and use the Worcester & Birmingham or the Staffs & Worcester canal to get into the main system. Check on Waterscape.com & with CaRT because there are likely to still be closures on until easter. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:30pm

PS Much of the Thames and Severn is not much more than a dip in fields and there is a major tunnel to make safe and reopen.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:40pm

Smokeless fuel should not do that so I can only surmise that you are burning unseasoned or poorly seasoned wood. All stove wood should be cut to length & split and then stored under cover but with a good airflow around it for about two years before burning. I think the blockage is the tar or creosote created when wood is burnt, especially damp wood. There are chemicals or special logs you can buy to put on the fire and are supposed to clear the muck but they are expensive. The fact it corrodes through suggests you are getting condensation on the inside of the pipe - unusual at the bottom (unless you are talking about the chimney) so fitting a double skin flue should help keep the flue temperature above the condensation temperature. Fitting a suitable stainless steel flue would also help. However as I said I suspect damp wood and insufficient cleaning. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.58 seconds.