Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Mibosa52
Mibosa52

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:34pm

Post Subject: Visitor mooring sites

I am travelling from Australia to the UK in August to do a Thames River canal boat holiday. Can anyone please advise me where I can find a list of visitor mooring sites between Brentford and Reading? Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:34am

The Environment Agency who run the river publish a list at www.environment-agency.gov.uk/thamesmoorings. However any not marked as Environment Agency are likley to make a charge and some can be expensive. I think Marlow (for instance) offer free mooring until 3 pm and then charge £14. Windsor is much more reasonable at about £8 a day. In addition to those on the list there are places where the riparian owners allow mooring but make a charge for it (say £5 a night) whilst at other places they can not be bothered to collect any fee. Unless you are very rich do not plan to moor around Henley during regatta week. On the stretch you mention most free EA moorings fill up early in the afternoon and are limited to 24 hours stay. I think most towns and larger villages have moorings but expect to pay for using them. However I often manage to moor without paying a fee. Even the National Trust demand a fee for mooring on Runnymede on not very good moorings. Given the stretch you enquire about I am rather curious as to who you are hiring from. To the best of my knowledge there are no well known hire boats anywhere between Tedington and Brentford or even on the canal at Brentford. I know you can hire in Reading. Please take care because if you are making an internet booking there are scams around and people hiring private boats that are not licensed, insured or tested as hireboats. If you are using a well known booking agent like Hoseasons or Blakes then there is nothing to concern you - or me! Tony Brooks

Mibosa52
Mibosa52

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:49pm

Thanks Tony. My booking is with Black Prince with collection from their London base at Yeading. We have it for two weeks with no real hurry to get anywhere but the intention is to get to Reading before returning. If we don't then no problems. I just had some minor concerns when reading my digital versions of Canal Boat with regards to 'overstayers' at mooring sites. We will only be doing single overnight stays at any locations we choose and a small fee will not be of concern to us if that is what is required. Thanks for your advice.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.