Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
jimdobbin
jimdobbin

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04am

Post Subject: Best month to tour the canals

Hi... We're coming from sub tropical Queensland Australia to the UK at the end of the year - would December or January be better for a cruise on the canals?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:19am

Post Subject: Best month to tour the canals

Personally I doubt either month would be good but December is often marginally less cold than January. However it could be wet - very wet - during either month. From about November to April each year CaRT carry out major planned maintenance jobs so there will be stretches of canal that are closed while rivers might well be in flood. Also some canals freeze over most years so navigation is impossible. A hire boat stuck or frozen into a marina is likely to be an expensive and not very interesting B&B. I do not think the 2013-14 stoppage list is published until about October so keep an eye on Waterscape.com and the magazine. Then see if you can find an area free of stoppages. Contact hire fleets before that to find out who is willing to hire during the winter and of more importance if the boats have any form of heating - you will need it. Sorry not to be much help but if you are coming from a sub-tropical climate to go canalling during the winter I think you could be ill equipped cloths wise and uncomfortable. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.