Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
jeanie
jeanie

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:21pm

Post Subject: Engine noise insulation

Are you able to recommend an insulation material which could reduce the noise of the engine of our narrowboat and be fitted by myself, and do you know the price of this?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:39pm

Post Subject: Engine noise insulation

Dear Dave I used a composite thick sound insulating material with a white fabric wipe proof face from TW Marine but there are loads of suppliers. I think mine cost close to £100 for three or four 1metre square sheets. You need to stick this to all the inner surfaces of the engine room or engine box but leave adequate baffled and insulated air inlet(s) to let the engine breath. T W Marine supplied me with full instructions and diagrams. It would probably be cheaper to fix a thick plywood box around the engine and insulate the inner surfaces of that because it requires less insulation. Most chandlers sell a cheaper version, but it may not have a wipe clean face and the face it does have may be easily damaged. You can also get self adhesive insulation sheets. Make sure that whatever you use is sufficiently fireproof to meet the BSS requirements. There are now a number of suppliers on the web so you would be best advised to Google a bit and make a few phone calls to get the latest prices. If this is a cruiser or semi-trad stern you may well make a considerable improvement to the sound by fitting closed cell neoprene strip under the deck boards where they sit on the floor bearers. This blocks up lost of small gaps that otherwise let the sound out. I found the hospital silencer made the biggest difference though. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.57 seconds.