Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
elsiegirl
elsiegirl

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:16pm

Post Subject:

Hi, I am looking at buying a 45 x 11ft widebeam canal boat which comes with a residential mooring in Bristol Marina. The boat is about 3 years old and costs £85k. I obviously want to have a survey done and wanted to know roughly how much this might cost. Presumably the boat needs to be lifted. The present own thought this might be a couple of hundred pounds not including cost of survey. The boat is also due to be blacked as it hasn't been done since it was built and it seemed like this would be a good time to do it (also suggested by own as it will be out of water) but obviously I don't want to do this if I'm not buying it. How long does it take for the results of a survey to come back? A day or two? Or more? Then I could keep it out of water, agree sale and get it blacked? I'm just trying to work out the cheapest but also most responsible way to buy a boat. It's a lot of money and I want to make the right decision! This would be my first boat. I will be living on it primarily and maybe in the summer taking it out for the odd weekend.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:49pm

Post Subject:

Dear Lucy, Remember that the boat will remain the property of the vendor until you pay for it and they transfer the ownership to you. This could be very quick or somewhat protracted. If you black it while it is still in the vendors ownership I fear you could end up with no boat and still having to pay for the blacking. Most surveyors would give you a verbal report on the day of the survey but the written report will take longer. Just make sure whichever surveyor you choose agrees to give you a verbal report of the day. I think the present owner is either well behind the times or is bring disingenuous. I think you need to budget about £1000 for the survey and getting it out of the water. Maybe a bit less if the yard has their own crane, slipway or drydock and probably more if they have to hire a crane. You need to contact a local surveyor to get a price for the survey, ensure that they have no relationship with the vendor and a recommendation for locations where the survey can be done. Then phone around to get prices for getting the boat out of the water. This may well be totally wrong but I thought there was a gridiron below the dock lock where boats can dry at low tide. Without seeing if it has baulks to sit the boat on that could be a cheap way of getting the boat dry but that rests with the surveyor and I may well be wrong. Without baulks you may not get access to the bottom plate. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.90 seconds.