Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
norwind
norwind

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:31pm

Post Subject: rudder

i have manage to bend or damage my rudder to the extent that its a real efort to stear can i repair this my self ,how do i get it off to repair .iv managed to get swan neck off rope through hole in rudder ready to lower it into canal is there anything i else because it dose not seem to move. thanks eddie

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49am

There are almost as many rudder designs as there are hull builders and then some get modified or welded later in life so I am afraid that unless you can send me a decent photo of the rudder I can not help much. Liverpool Boats use three bolts to hold the blade into the stock so in that case you remove the bolts and pull the blade out. Then you can lift the stock. That design has a certain weakness so the blades are often tack welded in. Others have a small shaft coupling between blade and uxter plate so in that case you need to undo the bolts in the coupling and lift the rudder out. If yours is more conventional but has a bearing below the swan neck have you removed the grub screws from the bearing and taken the bearing off? Finally could you have bent the stock enough for it to be binding in the tube? Then there are the boats where an extension has been welded on the top of the rudder at some time to allegedly improve handling. This tends to prevent you lifting the rudder high enough to clear the skeg. I fear it is grub about down the weed hatch or get into the canal time so you can find out exactly what the problem is.

norwind
norwind

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:54pm

thanks well i have dry suit now and a ladder so into the drink i go ill fell for bolts on rudder thats a stsrt the boat is norwind 1906 butty up graded to 0 footer in 1960 ish thanks eddie

norwind
norwind

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:56pm

40 footer sorry

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.