Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
newlyn
newlyn

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:23am

Post Subject: Window Refurbishment

Hi all! I've recently purchased a 62ft Springer, which needs a bit of work doing to it. My first project is to refurbish the windows (standard hopper-type), as they are leaking. I'm new to boating and DIY in general and am having trouble even knowing where to start. I've had a good look at the leaking windows and where the frames are attached to the hull all looks fine. However, the rubber seal between the frame and the window appears to have broken and I believe this is where the water is coming in from. On the inside of the window, another piece of rubber (a window seal? window tape?) has come loose, so I guess this needs to be replaced as well. However, I'm not sure how to do either of these things. Do I need to take the entire glass part of the window out and completely re-seal it to the frame? Is that even possible with a hopper-type window, as the hopper isn't sealed to the frame at all? Or can I just stick some mastic or sealant of some kind in the space where the rubber has broken? What is the piece of rubber that has come loose and how do I replace this? I'm at a loss to know where to begin, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a photo of the problem.

Window Refurbishment
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:27pm

First of all, in the future, if you need to send images please email them and your question to the magazine or to tony@tb-training.co.uk. Luckily I can see whet you are talking about, but normally the forum images are far too small. It is unlikely that anything other than a few fine drops of water would leak through the a hopper unless a strong wind was blowing heavy rain straight against the window. The seal that has come loose is more for draft proofing when the hopper is shut. I will come back to the leak in a moment. I am in the process of renewing my seals like that with strips of self adhesive closed cell neoprene foam. I got mine locally from Hills of Reading. Seals Plus Direct sell such stuff mail order. I expect there are rubber products suppliers in most major cities. Now the leak. Please can you describe exactly what gets wet and where it is on the boat. Email your answer and any photos to the address above. If its the wood below the window or water drips from the wood there is every chance the seal between the window frame and hull has failed or it is leaking via one or more fixing holes. With the age of your boat it is almost certain that the paint below the frame has failed and the cabin side is rusting, rust takes up about 8 times the space of steel so whatever it may look like there is every chance the leak is there. If I am correct the the proper cure is to take the windows out, sort out the rust and paint and then refit the windows using one of the strip-type window bedding products. Simply putting any form of sealer or mastic around the frame has little chance of long term success. You could try applying (this is not a joke) Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure around the outside of the windows but again it may work for a while and prove the leak is where I suspect but it is not normally a long term fix. I need an image to understand the bit about the rubber on the inside of the glass. What i think you are referring to is normally a length of rubber "string" but I want to be sure before advising you further. If it is leaking form there you should have a couple of drain holes so it runs through the frame below the glass and down the side of the boat. However with the vast number of window designs there have been I need to see inside and outside photos, especially of the aluminum "channels" on the inside of the glass. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:51pm

PS Jut seen your question else where. If you do not fancy stripping the glass from the frames yourself Eagle marine Windows will overhaul for you. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 1.07 seconds.