Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stevedal
stevedal

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:08am

Post Subject: Flooring

Hello, the base flooring in our narrowboat is 18mm ply, covered with cork tiles which after 12 years are starting to show their age and we've decided to scrape them off and replace them with something else. Laminated flooring seems attractive, and also advertised as being suitable for a damp environment, but the instructions for this involve leaving a small expansion gap around the edge. Is this suitable for a boat interior, and bearing in mind the small dimensions of a boat (interior cabin size 20ft by 6ft), is an expansion gap really necessary,(difficult to execute against the sides of a boat) or could we just stick or screw them to the existing 18mm ply? Any suggestions?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:25pm

Post Subject: Flooring

I can not comment about the suitability because of the vast range of specifications available. Personally I would use gel backed polypropylene carper or sheet vinyl. That carpet is hard wearing, scrubable and washable. I do not see the problem about the expansion "gap" and if you do not leave one the floor might bow upwards as it expands. You can buy cork strips to fill the gap yet still allow expansion. Over to other readers for their input. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.93 seconds.