Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Romeley
Romeley

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:35am

Post Subject: Water / crud in the fuel tank

I am trying to think up a way to suck up any water and crud out of the fuel tanks. My main problem will be that I can only get into one of the two tanks and that through the filler. The second fills via a balance pipe (metal). Why would the boat maker come up with such a situation? Any advice in what equipment is required to hoover up the bottom of the tank that I fill into and what advice can you give regarding the non access tank. Many thanks. Marcus Bristow nb Romeley

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:04pm

If you think that you have a lot of crud in there then I think you need a wider bore pipe but for mainly water and a little crud I put some copper pipe in place of the bowden outer cable on my Pela engine oil extractor. There is an article about this an a past issue. If you think you have a lot of crud I would use a wet and dry vacuum cleaner with a (say) 15mm pipe bodged onto the end of the hose. Diesel will not vaporise and unless you starts shaking it about will not form a mist that could get sucked through the motor. As far as the second tank is concerned I think I would investigate welding a length of threaded water pipe plus screw down cap onto the tank so you can get access. I had this done to my tank for about £140 last autumn. Tony Brooks

Romeley
Romeley

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:07pm

Many thanks, I will continue to trawl through the previous pages of advice. Found some good tips relevant to my boat already. :-)

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:49pm

The piece about using the Pella pump was in the January 2013 edition of the magazine. I you email me (Tony@TB-training.co.uk) I will send you the piece I sent to the magazine before final editing. Tony Brooks

Romeley
Romeley

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:29pm

Dear Tony Since my last reply I have had, at some cost, work done to my tanks that your readers may find useful. I arranged for Sharpness ship yard to cut inspection holes in each of the tanks and provide inspection covers for future access to each tank. In addition, the tank breather pipes were venting into the engine room. I understand that this had been a BSS failure for some time. When I moored along side the ship yard I pumped out the remaining diesel. When empty I expected to find a depth of crud at the bottom. When the work was completed the engineer told me that the exit fuel pipe was 1/8" from the bottom of the tank therefore any crud was being burnt through the engine. Also the conecting balance pipe was blocked, with fuel passing through by osmosis. He blanked off the internal tank breather pipes and from the rear of the tanks routed new piping to each of the rear dollys a very neat job. For a 37 year old boat I doubt that I will need to unblock the balance pipe every again, or anyone else. :-) Thank you for your comments.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.