Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ray
Ray

Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:48pm

Post Subject: Aluminium replacement deck boards for cruiser stern narrowboat

Hi Tony, My laminated wooden deckboards are in need of replacement. It has been suggested to me that I could use "diamond chequered" aluminium plates as a durable replacement. Have you any experience or comments to make about the suitability of the idea? Regards Ray Fairwood

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:16am

It is used for that purpose but I have three concerns. First of all will it be strong enough in the thickness you can afford to span the supports. On my boat it would have to span over 3 ft and I suspect at that span it might need to be well over 1/4 inch thick. Secondly where as wood tend to absorb engine noise the aluminium is likely to resonate. Finally it is likely to rub through the paint on the supports and if so it might corrode where it touches the bare steel. This will be a long term problem so may not be worth worrying about. Tony Brooks

sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:12pm

I have had some success using thin chequer plate on top of plywood .Make sure the edges are really well sealed and reseal them regularly, I also have a boat with a thick chequer plate on the rear deck which did 'resonate' a bit and needed some stickyback sound proofing.

Ray
Ray

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:15am

Thanks Tony and Sooty1957 for your replies, I haven't finally made up my mind yet which way to go, but their doesn't seem to be any reason not to try the aluminium plate idea. Regards, Ray

eggnostriv
eggnostriv

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:35pm

I would consider bi metallic corrosion. You will need to make sure the metal rails and the aluminium plate do not touch, as the aluminium will oxidise.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 45.  Total Objects: 164.  Total Unserialized: 5. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.