Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
oldteleman
oldteleman

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:33pm

Post Subject: Chester Canal

Hi, can you advise whether the locks which drop you down to the River Dee are usable? and which authority is responsible for them?, I have just been on holiday on the Shropshire Union Canal at Chester. Whilst there, I walked down the short branch to the River. The first two or three locks looked as though they would function OK, but the last lock, the one under the road, had a huge wire fencing section thrown into it and looked derelict. also I could not see how you could walk around the lock to open the gates etc. it looked as though whoever ist in charge of this section is deliberately allowing it to fall into dereliction. so that they could then claim that nobody has used it, therefore not worth maintaining.

hfrown
hfrown

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:59pm

Post Subject: Chester Canal

Hi I've just spoken to British Waterways who are in charge of that section and there are issues surrounding that lock. The best thing to do is for you to contact BW, 01606 723 800, and ask for Jim Taylor who can give you chapter and verse on the locks there. Hal Brown, Canal Boat

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.95 seconds.