Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
MIKEWEBB
MIKEWEBB

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:06am

Post Subject: 12V WIRING - USING A COMMON RETURN

I'm re-arranging and rewiring the lamp and horn on the front of our narrowboat cratch and want to be able to disconnect them from the main wiring in the future so that I can remove the cratch/lamp/horn assembly for renovation when necessary. There are obviously 2 twin core 12v cables coming from the control panel at the stern and the lamp and horn also have twin core cables attached to each. The location for a plug/socket is limited and I have an ideal 3 pin combination unit. I therefore plan to join the negative/earth wires on each side of the plug/socket to create a common return through it. I think this should be feasible but would appreciate your comments. I also propose to check the negative wires in the source cables have been wired the right way around by connecting each via a meter to the hull/earth. Can you confirm that this is workable too please? Regards - Mike

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:48am

Post Subject: 12V WIRING - USING A COMMON RETURN

I can see nothing wrong with what you propose. The big no-no is to use a hull return path but as those two items that are used rarely maybe it is not absolutely vital. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.