Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
coolahba
coolahba

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:48pm

Post Subject: paint type suitability

hi could you please advise me weather it would be a good idear to use intertuff 16 or bitumen paint in the gas locker and under the front deck on steel narrow boat as i have pleanty which i could do with finding a use for and if it was suitable primacon for under water antifouling as a primer for this.any pointers if it would be ok would be very useful .thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:09am

Interuf 16 is a "High Build" Bitumen Paint. Bitumen paint could be anything unless you specify it. Primocon (capital P) is an underwater primer and/or barrier coat for use on top of an unknown paint. I am unclear about what you are asking. Primacon can be used as a primer for anti-fouling while bitumen can not. In fact a steel boat using bitumen would not normally use an anti-fouling paint. As the bottom of gas lockers suffer frequent damage and often get wet I, personally, use bitumen on the lower portion so it can be re-coated more easily. If you need regular access to the under deck area I would be reluctant to use bitumen because it takes ages to dry and may soften when heated by the sun. However I must refer you to the various makers technical data or customer services to confirm their product is suitable for your intended use. Tony Brooks

coolahba
coolahba

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:11pm

thankyou tony thats very helpful and i will consult the makers data.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.60 seconds.