Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stewal
stewal

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:19pm

Post Subject: Solar Panel

Hi Tony: I have an 80W solar panel working through a 10A controller, I have had this set up for a couple of years and it works fine but on a cloudy day it struggles to cope with the load and so I have got a second 80w panel.I happen to have a second 10A controller. Obviously using one 10A controller for both panels would potentially overload it so would it be ok to wire the second panel idependently of the 1st and use a seperate controller for each panel both feeding the same battery bank? Thanks.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:14pm

Post Subject: Solar Panel

All the controller will do is to control the charging voltage so the battery can not be damaged. It may do some fancy things with the voltage like upping it now and again to provide an equalisation charge and maybe reduce it after a time to give a float voltage so by all means connect two controllers and panels in parallel. However be aware that PERHAPS (not will) if one controller is set to a slightly higher voltage than the other then the other controller might cut out when the batteries are well on the way to being fully charged but I doubt that this will make much difference to the overall performance. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.