Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Rosound
Rosound

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:10am

Post Subject: Back boiler

Hi there... I am planning on fitting a back boiler to my Stovax stove, just to run two radiators. I will fit a pump, but plan to start the run as a gravity fed system, ie out of the boiler and up to the first rad, then up again to the secon rad. After this I will have an expansion tank. This would all run down and back to the pump, and then the boiler. Questions: do I feed the rads from the top? For the header tank, can I just run one pipe up before the feed drops, or do I need an open pipe from the hot, and a bottom feed from the cold, even though they would effectively be pretty much beside each other. I will be using 22mm pipe, and a thermostat for the pump. Also, how big should the tank be. Thanks for any guidance....

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:04am

Post Subject: Back boiler

If you get this wrong you have the potential for an explosion so as I need to be absolutely sure of what you intend please email a side view of the system showing where the stove is in the boat, how the boat trims (bow up, down, or level) the approximate rad positions and how you envisage the pipe runs. Email to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk. I may well need an email address to send you a diagram. The size of the expansion tank depends upon the volume of water in the system so you need to calculate that from the length and bore of the pipes, the back boiler capacity and the capacity of the radiators. However it will not be not massive, maybe a litre or two. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 1.08 seconds.