Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Shezzy
Shezzy

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:28pm

Post Subject: battery warning light an alarm

battery warning light an alarm were sounding when engine was switched off so I had a new alternator fitted on right hand side of isuzu 42 engine now light and alarm are off when engine is off but on when engine is running

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:45pm

First of all that alarm may sound for other reasons like overheating or low oil pressure but the warning light certainly ties it to charging circuit. Virtually all engines will do this if you stop the engine but leave the "ignition" switched on so there may never have been a problem. They would also do it all the time the ignition was switched on (engine running or not) if the wire between the warning lamp and alternator were shorted to metal of the boat or engine. The symptoms you now have would be normal if you do not have a feed to the lamp circuit when the engine is running at charging speed, Typically that is when the ignition switch is turned off with the engine running but it could just as easily be incorrect wiring. It is also possible that you have been supplied a faulty alternator. I assume that the drive belt is on and under the correct tension and the engine has been revved to about 1500 rpm to ensure the alternator energises. Does the light come on as soon as you turn the ignition on? Are you sure that you never left the ignition switch turned on with the engine stationary? Does the light intensity alter with engine revs? Finally can you email a photo of the back of the alternator showing where all the wires go to Tony@tb-training.co.uk so I can try to see if it has been incorrectly wired. Also so you have a rev-counter or not? Please do not delay in sending the photo because I will not be happy receiving it on mobile broadband in a few days. You can also answer the questions in your email. Tony Brooks

Shezzy
Shezzy

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:23pm

engine was switched off key out even when problem first occurred will take photo first thing as dark now

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:00am

Once I can see the wires on the alternator I will be able to give you a couple of simple tests to do that will check the wires are on the correct terminals. It will also tell me if an external controller is possible involved. For now it is pointing to a faulty ignition switch BUT if the other gauges and lamps are working as they should this is not likely. Has anyone been working on the wiring? Does the Isuzu have an in-line fuse tucked alongside the main wiring harness and tucked out of sight? There is probably a large multi-block connector on the main wiring harness where the panel wiring is joined to the engine wiring. This could be anywhere between the two. Find it and manipulate it to see if it makes any difference. These often cause all sorts of odd electrical problems once the boat gets on a bit. Check the main charging leads (one or two, the thick ones on the back of the alternator) along their entire length to see if there are any dirty/loose connections and that all the terminals are properly attached to the conductor in the cable. First of all make sure both master switches are turned on - especially the one that alternator is feeding. If you only have one alternator then what type of charge splitter is in use? That would be suspect. If twin alternators which one was changed, the doemstic or engien one? I would be very tempted to put all the wires on the engine master switch on one "bolt". That would tell us if the master switch is playing up and the ones with a removable plastic key often do. Tony Brooks

Shezzy
Shezzy

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:38am

there are 2 alternators we changed the right hand one which is the engine one as far as know have emailed you photo but may have to try again as there's a pipe in the way

battery warning light an alarm
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:46am

I have the photos and will continue this conversation by email. The forum software and the lack of paragraphs make it hard for technical discussion. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.57 seconds.