Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Robert
Robert

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:00pm

Post Subject: Problem with PSS HS water cooled shaft seal

We have a 57 foot narrow boat, the drive chain is a Beta marine engine driving the shaft and propeller via a PRM gearbox and a Centraflex flexible coupling out through a PSS HS water cooled shaft seal. This Seal has been fine until recently we grounded going into a lock and stirred up quite a lot of sand and mud getting off the mud bank. After this we started to see a lot of carbon being thrown out from the seal onto the sides of the engine bay, see attached photos. Why has this started happening and what can I do about it? Regards Robert

Problem with PSS HS water cooled shaft seal
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:42pm

My honest opinion, although my wife would accuse me of being rude, is that you should get rid of the thing and fit a conventional stuffing box. Conventional packed glands will put up with all sorts of abuse and can still be rendered watertight at the end of a day's cruising. Practically I suspect that is not an option. First check that you have not bent the shaft. Put it in slow ahead and place a length of wood very close to the shaft or gland. As the shaft revolves the distance between it and the wood should not vary. If the shaft is not bent then I think that you need to either: Push the rubber boot back towards the back of the boat so you can get at the carbon ring seal that bears against the steel "ring" on the shaft. Undo the grub screws in the steel "ring" so you can slide it up the shaft, again to expose the carbon ring. Then clean the ring because I suspect there is some grit or sand jammed in it. Make sure the surface is perfectly flat and smooth. I would be tempted to put a smear of silicon grease around the carbon ring as well. Whichever you do make sure that you adjust the position of the steel "ring" as per the PSS instructions. Tony Brooks

wirren
wirren

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:00am

Hi Robert, this may be of use - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UvyF-NRooQ r If the link does not work then just google - PSS install video - You Tube. Hope you get it sorted.

Robert
Robert

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:35pm

Thanks both of you. Shaft OK and managed to check and clean the carbon. Seems OK, need a long trip now to test it.:-)

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.