Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
vievef
vievef

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:09am

Post Subject: Domestic fridges on boats

We have a canal-style wide beam passenger boat on which we serve cream teas etc. I have recently installed two domestic fridges on the boat, neither of which seems to be working, one of which I am certain did. Is there any reason they wouldn't work on a boat? We have a generator, a 12 volt battery and land-line electricity when the boat is moored.

Domestic fridges on boats
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:51pm

Providing you can supply them with electricity to the same or extremely close to the specification for the mains then they should work providing you have enough ventilation around/behind it to provide adequate cooling for the "radiator" on the back. Generators, especially cheaper ones, tend to have a very poor wave form and voltage control so although I have not heard of any mains fridges with electronic control it may be a cause. However this would not explain why it does not work on a land line. I do not like the sound of fridges and "A 12 volt battery". If it really is A - one battery I would expect a pair of fridges to flatten it within about an hour. If the inverter that supplies the fridges from the battery has insufficient capacity or is not a pure sine wave unit then this could also explain it. How long did you allow the fridges to stand between manoeuvring them into position and turning them on. If it was less than about 24 hours or you managed to partially or fully invert the fridges then you may have mixed the compressor oil into the refrigerant and have now burnt the motors out. That is all I can suggest. Tony Brooks

vievef
vievef

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:04pm

Tony, does that mean if the fridges were carried horizontally that has done what you say and burnt the motors out?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:13am

I am afraid that is a perfectly possible explanation for why they no longer work - especially if you did not let them stand for long enough for the oil and refrigerant to separate after the moving mixed it up. In general always try to move fridges and freezers with them as close to vertical as possible. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.