Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
bramble08
bramble08

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:00am

Post Subject: Battery connections

Hello .In july 2008 issue on page 94 you show a bank of batteries. I am fitting out my own boat and would very much like to understand the reasons-for all the connections to said batteries.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:11am

Post Subject: Battery connections

Please do not even try to understand all the connections. It was a not very helpful library picture that was intended to show the interlinks do not need to impede access to the cells. We have already been called to task by a high quality boat builder over it. The builder must have been trying to minimise voltdrop across the bank but neglected the most important "rule". First of all calculate the largest electrical load likely to be drawn and compare this with the alternator output (Amps). Use the higher of the two figures to calculate the size of cable required to minimise voltdrop along its total length. NEVER allow a charging system to suffer voltdrop of more them 0.3 volts and the lower the better. 0.1 volts is a lot in battery charging terms. This is the important piece. Make sure the main positive and negative leads are attached to the bank at OPPOSITE ends of the bank (not at one end as shown). The reason is to ensure the charging current has to travel through the same length of cable to get to each and every battery. This way they will all be charged and discharged to the same extent. I trust it goes without saying that you always keep the terminals clean and tight. More about voltdrop on my website www.tb-training.co.uk Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.51 seconds.