Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
blakea
blakea

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:05am

Post Subject: Beta marine 10 stopping

Hi I am helping a friend who has a sea otter with a beta 10 engine. It suffered the diesel bug last year which also caused the spring in the injection pump to break. I have polished the fuel, upgraded the primary filter from the original tiny sea otter fitting it has a new secondary filter and the injection pump spring has been replaced all connections have been sealed with V2 sealant. The engine will run fine for about 30 mins then suddenly stops, it can be started again after cranking for about a minute the runs for a few mins then stops again, it then won't run for more than a few mins before stopping. It is always better when run from cold so it sounds like heat is a factor any ideas please?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:00am

Assuming no sealant has got into the lift or injector pump and none is blocking a pipe. I have been unable to find a photo of the engine showing the lift pump side of the engine. I think this engine has a mechanical lift pump and I suspect it may be one of the "flat disk" shaped pumps with the disk face vertical and secured by 6 screws. It really does not matter if the pump is different but I have had cases where diesel bug has clogged the pump valves and prevented it working properly. The cranking for a minute makes me suspect the engine is bleeding itself. If it is one of the "disk" pumps then it can be easily stripped for inspection as long as you mark the parts so they reassemble in the correct orientation. The gasket that separates the two valve chambers is NOT reversible so make sure everything lines up. The other common Beta lift pump is, I think, non-strippable so in that case try a gravity feed to the main fuel filter and if that solves the problem you may find fitting a Facet electric lift pump form a motor factors far cheaper than buying a new mechanical pump. I note that you say "I have polished the fuel". This suggests that you are doing it professionally and if so maybe you should seek professional advice where they can see the boat and hear what is happening. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:29am

Another longer shot. Try running it with the fuel filler cap off. There is a slight chance the fuel tank breather is blocked. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:43pm

A further thought. When you polished the fuel how did you clean the strainer that is often in the tank on the end of the supply pipe? I can not see simple fuel polishing clearing it, you would need to back flush it at the least. TB

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.