Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
thestourbr
thestourbr

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:38pm

Post Subject: Morso Diesel Stove

Hi there, I clean my stove regularly both manually and with cleaning tablets. However, recently it has begun to smoke more than it did. I suspect that deposits in the chimney are getting warm and smoking. I brush the chimney but there is still quite a deposit on the flue. Any suggestions of a) Do you think this is what is causing the problem b) how I can clean the flue other than a flue brush which doesnt seem to be doing the job.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:04pm

Cleaning tablets in a DIESEL stove? I know you can get such things for solid fuel stoves but I did not know they are available for a diesel version. I am having problems understanding how you could use them without upsetting the combustion process. I assume this is pot burner type diesel stove much like the Bubble stove. If so when did you lats clean out the small air drilling's in and around the burner pot? There is a ring of them that often get missed when cleaning the pot (on the typical burners). They are around a sort of waist on the pot. If these are blocked you will get incomplete combustion and smoke. This will also happen if the chimney is to short or you run persistently at a very low temperature. Both will reduce the air drawn through the burner, as could a leaking/hard door seal. As far as the flue is concerned you could try a small steel wire sweep's brush. Clas Olson (spelling?) sell one that will hook onto a rope so you can drop a rope down the flue, attach the brush in the stove and then pull it up the flue. Some people swear by a branch off a holly bush pushed up and down the flue. However I think that is more suitable for solid fuels in late summer when the soot has been loosened by the flue pipe rusting. A much reduced flue area could reduce the draw and create smoking but if a flue brush goes up and down I rather suspect the air holes in the burner pot. Tony Brooks

monycom
monycom

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:10pm

I have a morso diesel stove and have never cleaned the flue in 12 years, there has never been a need to. We clean the carbon from the inside by using a wire brush attachment on a drill, then a hoover. We notice when it needs cleaning as it doesn't burn as well, I have never used any cleaning tablet on any of my stoves, diesel or solid fuel. Lockgate marine are very good with giving advice, they have been a great help to us. Good luck

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.