Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.


To go back to the experts page click here>>


Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:06pm


When we bought our first quasi sine wave inverter it came with an automatic 240v change over switch which I installed inside a small cupboard in the engine room. This unit has now failed. We live 120 miles from the boat so we asked our marina to replace it but they have only found units at Midland Chandlers which cost over £70 for a manual one and almost £200 for an automatic unit. The current location of the unit is not easily accessible so unless I can find another possible position for a manual one I had hoped to make a straight replacement with another automatic one. Waeco who make our current inverter donât market one and referred us to RS Supplies although I canât find any on their website. They may be listed under a different name. Iâd appreciate your views on manual v. automatic and any other source of units at a more reasonable price.


Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:24am


Try googling crossover switch. A number of onine chandlers list a variety of units at less than you quote. However as this is a mains item that can kill or set fire to a boat if not correctly specified and installed I can not recommend a particular item. I must tell you to make sure that it has an adequate currant rating for your use. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.