Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
monycom
monycom

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:47pm

Post Subject: Spray foam

I have a 4 year old boat and have significant staining on the hull sides lining. I have taken part of a panel off to find there is no spray foam on the underside of the bearers, this area is dripping with condensation and rusty. The back of the panel is black and mouldy as is the wooden strut. there was a leak from the water pump winter before last but did not identify it immediately, once we found it the water was removed (after a inspection hole was made). The builders are saying it is our fault but the inspector is saying otherwise. the flooring is not damp nor rotten which you would expect if it was due to bilge water saturation. The sprayfoam company are saying it is standard not to insulate this area which I know is not standard. I have spoken to a few other builders who confirm my thoughts. To rectify this is going to be a huge job as all the hull lining will need to be removed including cupboards and bulkheads and it should not be down to me to pay for it. I'm just looking for any advice or thoughts on the issue. Thank you

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:01pm

My thoughts are - it's very bad luck but I fear the only way to get the builder to take responsibility is to take him to court (probably the small claims court where lawyers are not required) but if you did and won, as you probably will given that you have an inspector's report and confirmation from other spray foamers, I fear the builder will simply declare insolvency and do the phoenix trick. You could ask your local Trading Standards to get involved but I fear they would be reluctant. If I was in your place I would probably start a blog, naming names and with plenty of photos. Tony Brooks

monycom
monycom

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:08pm

Thanks for your reply. Naming and shaming is not an option at the moment as they are a reputable builder who have been in business for many years and will not go bankrupt because of the claim. I am currently getting all the evidence I can to present to them and take it from there. In the picture you can clearly see the damage to the wood, the back of the panels have started to de-laminate and have significant water damage along with mould. The outside of the wood is just water stained and making the varnish peel of.

Spray foam

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.