Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
tojohnson
tojohnson

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25pm

Post Subject: Replacing Narrowboat Batteries

I have read all the details about battery replacement on your very comprehensive tb training website and feel confident enough to do this. Just one point bothers me. Is there a "right" and "wrong" way to unclamp and reclamp a bank of three 110 ahr leisure batteries. I.e. shoud I unclamp all the 3 -ives first or all three +itives, or each battery +/- at a time. Does it matter? I shall be careful not to drop a spanner across the terminals, any other tips?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:39pm

Post Subject: Replacing Narrowboat Batteries

If this were a car I would have no hesitation is saying all the negative terminals off first so that if you inadvertently drop a spanner against the hull metalwork it would not short out but a significant number of boats are wired in a way that in theory might cause an expensive problem if you do this. Some people recommend all the positives off first but in many narrowboats the top of the batteries are so close to metalwork this is, in my view, dangerous. I would turn ALL electrical circuits off, including inverters and chargers. Then turn off the master switches and finally disconnect the negatives. Do not turn anything on until the whole bank is reconnected and do not just turn the master switches off and assume this isolates all the circuits. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.