Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
wirren
wirren

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:02pm

Post Subject: Antifreeze - corrosion inhibitor

Hi Tony, re - common blue 2 year antifreeze. Are you aware of the possibility of adding corrosion inhibitor to antifreeze that is ready for a change. ( To avoid draining the whole 30 litres plus in the normal way. ). Many thanks, Mark.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:38am

You are asking me to override manufactures' recommendations and I simply can not do that. Right away I can see a problem in that unless the inhibitors you add have the same chemical composition as the original ones there could well be a reaction. At the best it could make the inhibitors precipitate out of solution (as it may when you mix the older and newer types of antifreeze) and at the worst make the coolant alkali or acidic enough to cause internal corrosion. And all for what? An hour or so's work. While buying the inhibitor you may as well buy the antifreeze. Tony Brooks

wirren
wirren

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26pm

Hi Tony, I simply asked " Are you aware of the possibility " Mark.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:56pm

I am always aware of the possibility of people pouring many types of liquid into their cooling systems but am not aware of any corrosion inhibitor that is specifically formulated to mix with antifreeze. I am ware of summer type corrosion inhibitors and central heating system inhibitors but have no knowledge of how they would react with antifreeze of any sort. As you did not give me any names or information about inhibitor you have in mind there is no way I could look it up.

wirren
wirren

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:29am

Extra info, may be of use to others - Morris Lubricants do an additive. It's called Ankorsol. About £15 a litre. They recommend a dose of 2-3%. Mixes with any antifreeze. Mark.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.52 seconds.