Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
merganser
merganser

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:21pm

Post Subject: Hot metal spraying

Any comments or opinions about metal spraying as an alternative to conventional blacking (other than cost!)

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:22pm

The only thing I have known hot meal spraying being used for was building up worn shafts and then the shaft had to be heated up to a high temperature to help the metal spray flow and adhere. Nit sure how one would heat a boat's hull to such a temperature. Come to that I am not sure how you would get it clean enough. If you intended to sand/grit/water/soda blast the it would be a good candidate for a two pack coating. Tony Brooks

merganser
merganser

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:12am

Thanks for that. Yes I will grit blast back to bare metal first then have to decide whether to hot metal spray (zinc) or two pack as you say. Really I am trying to find out if anyone out there has any longer term experience with the process on narrowboats.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:40am

I very much doubt they have but to get a larger audience post the question on the Canal World Forum

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.