Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Puppies
Puppies

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:36pm

Post Subject: Freezer Air Cooling

I have a freezer Vibocold F 35 model under my dining bench in a drawer. When the temperature reaches 24 deg C It runs continuously, at 30 deg the freezer temperature starts to rise. During the hot spell the cabin temperature was 33 deg and the ice cream was getting soft. I would like to cut into my bilge a hole of 2 x 1ft and remove the spray foam to aid the cooling and save battery consumption. To date the freezer has been checked out for the correct gas and weight.(134-A). I have a fan supplying the space at a rate of 7m3 per hour from the cabin. Could this give me problems?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:20am

I had hoped to get a some technical data about your appliance but you call it a freezer while the only site that gives any information at all calls it a fridge. Even though it lists the F the link to data leads to a CF 35. I also note that the electrical consumption quoted seems rather high when compared with other 12V fridges. This makes me wonder about how well the cabinet is insulated. It is rare or very rare to find spray foam under the cabin floor. Its only within the last couple of years that anyone has talked about insulating floors and to date that involves a board product like Kingspan so you may not have any foam under the floor. Far too many boat fridges are fitted with grossly inadequate ventilation and it is usually the escape of hot air that is compromised. This gives the symptoms you describe. You try to can blow as much cold air into the fridge compartment as you like but unless there is an adequate and clear exhaust path for that air the fan will stop blowing and the compartment temperature will rise. I think you need to make sure there is more than enough exhaust ventilation from the fridge compartment. Your idea about cutting a hole in the floor so you can draw cool air in from the bilge is a good one. Indeed I have 3 x 2" holes in the floor behind my own fridge but I rely upon convection. It s best to fit a computer fan or fans mounted loosely upon soft rubber over the hole(s) to blow air over the radiator but I think your freezer may have its own fan. I had hoped to establish what compressor unit it used because the Danfoss unit has terminals dedicated to controlling such a fan or fans. I recently saw some data that showed the fans drawing bilge air behind a fridge actually cooled the whole galley a few degrees so it is normally well worth doing. Two notes of caution. you need to establish where the floor bearers are, you don't want to cut through one. If the bilge gets wet and dirty or if an animal gets into the bilge and dies you may not want to waft bilge air into the boat. Tony Brooks

Puppies
Puppies

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:40pm

Thanks,the compressor is a Danfoss BD35F the gas is R134-A. It does have it's own fan. I plan to go ahead with this. I have piggy backed the space fan onto the condenser fan.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:50am

Please be aware of the current limitations of the fan connection on the control box. Danfoss say you must not exceed 1 amp for 2 seconds (starting surge) and then 0.5 amp (running current) in total. I know my Waeco's fan is a large one that typically draws 0.3 amp so that does not leave much spare capacity to drive another fan.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.