Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
robinj100
robinj100

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:19pm

Post Subject: Barrus Shire Overheating

Hi Tony, I have an 11 year old 40hp Barrus Shire engine in my 55' narrowboat. This summer we have used it for about200 hours, sailing the boat from Esex to Lancashir. We had a fuel injector pump problem, nescessitating the removal of the engine, and refurbishment of the injector pump, and servicing of the injectors. Since then I have noticed that the engine seems to be running a lot hotter. Yesterday, the temps crept up slowly, pausing at about 80 deg, and 90 deg, before soaring towards 100deg. Running at tickover did not show any apreciable cooling. I stoped the engine for half an hour, and then felt the skin tank, which was cold. I then started the engine,which still showed a high temp on the gague (90+) and it took at least 10 minutes for the skin tank to start to get warm. Have I got a thermostat problem, or a cooling pump prtoblem. This graduel increase in temp. can take several hour to develope. Hoping you can shed some light on my problem. Thanks in advance. Robin

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43pm

My first thought is that you have an air lock problem in the cooling system, especially as you say the skin tank was cold. I think that you should try to bleed the skin tank and pipes to make sure thee is no air trapped. Check the main cooling pipes for upward or downward loops that could trap air. Assuming that this is a straight forward skin tank cooled boat and not some odd hybrid employing a heat exchanger then I doubt its a water pump problem because engine water pump as opposed to raw water pumps) are very reliable. It could be a thermostat problem and I think Shires now use two thermostats, one to control the calorifier circuit. Yours may or may not be like this being 11 years old so check your manual. If it is you need to make sure that you check the main engine thermostat - test it is a pan of water on the stove. DO NOT boil it, if you do it may eject its wax, as may have already happened. Check it starts to open at about 82C with a thermometer. Have you assessed the actual engine temperature using an infra red thermometer or some such? If not it could be a faulty temperature sender unit simply reading high. Tony Brooks

robinj100
robinj100

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:08pm

Tony, Thanks so much for the good advise. I have bled the cooling system on the engine, and got some air shifted from the long flexable pipe runs. I took the boat out for a trial run today, and at higher power settings than I have been using in the past, the temperatures never got above 80 deg.C Again many thanks. Robin

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.58 seconds.