Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Gaven1
Gaven1

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:44pm

Post Subject: Narrowboat Anchor

Hi Tony We are thinking of cruising on rivers in our 50 foot narrowboat. Could you inform me of the anchor weight required, size and length of chain and rope required. I have been advised to use 14 and 20 KG anchors. 3/8 and 1/2 inch chain, with varying lengths of chain and rope. This has been advised by different people, and am now confused as to the ideal option. Thanks for your help. Regards Gaven

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:03pm

I am not going to make a recommendation because if I did and something untoward happened I could find myself in court. If you Google Anchor Size or some-such you will find all sorts of sites that give you the information you ask for. However they are almost all sea going sites and whatever they say will be impossible for you to meet. This is on two main accounts. First of all the length of the chain and rope is dependant on depth of water you intend to anchor in - I bet you do not know that because any depths you may find will be minimum navigation depths while the actual depth can vary greatly from place to place. Next the weight they will indicate will almost certainly be far too great for you to manually handle from a narrowboat so you have to compromise. A recent publication from the RNLI in London made the following recommendation of a minimum of 5 metres of chain and 25 metres of rope but many feel this is not enough. You need to be able to lift the anchor and chain from the riverbed and although the water will lighten the load to some extent it will still be fairly heavy. Start by looking at a 20Kg anchor and at least 5m of chain and try to lift them. If you can't the go for a lighter anchor. The important thing about the chain is that it DOES NOT come from a DIY outlet, make sure you get proper anchor chain that has been load tested and certified. I suspect that the weight will dictate 3/8 chain. Take advice from a proper chandler and then heed what I have said. I am even more concerned about what you intend to tie it to. I have had two T studs fall off so make sure whatever you use is very securely fixed to the boat, preferably by through bolts with a backing plate. Tony Brooks

Gaven1
Gaven1

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:16pm

Thanks for the quick reply and sound advice, especially regarding the T studs. I will carry out some more research before making the purchase. Regards Gaven

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.