Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tom
Tom

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:32pm

Post Subject: Summer cruise

Hi there My wife and I are contemplating a 3 week return cruise in August, from Preston Brook to Huddersfield returning back via the Peak Forest canal and Buxworth Basin. Has anyone done this journey recently? Does anyone know of anything to watch out for? - any information at all will be welcomed. Thank you Tom Thanks Tom

hfrown
hfrown

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:36pm

Hi Tom, Our canals expert, Martin Ludgate, is currently away (digging out an old canal actually), but will attempt to answer your query when he returns next week. Hal Brown, Canal Boat

Martin
Martin

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:52am

Afraid I haven't actually been on any of these waterways recently, but a couple of things to watch out for are (a) you will have to book your passages through Standedge Tunnel which is only open certain days of the week (I assume you are going via the Huddersfield Canal - if you're going via the Rochdale you'll need to book your trip through the locks in north Manchester and over the summit) and (b) the western half of the Ashton Canal used to have something of a reputation for troublesome youth - thought by many local boaters to be largely exaggerated and/or out of date, but probably a good idea not to plan an overnight stop in this area. On a brighter note, I can highly recommend the trip to Bugsworth for the scenery and the fascinating basin complex. And see www.penninewaterways.co.uk for a really good website covering all of the canal's you're planning to visit. PS hope you're reasonably fit - that's a lot of locks for just two of you!

Tom
Tom

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:00pm

Hi Martin Thanks very much for your advice particularly regarding Standedge Tunnel. I have managed Tardebigge with just my wife steering and me locking (in pouring rain naturally) so although I am no spring chicken the locks are part of the fun. If I make the trip I will get back to you with any information which may be helpful to fellow boaters. Thanks again. Tom. NB Blueberry Preston Brook Marina.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.67 seconds.