Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
waterman
waterman

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:38pm

Post Subject: Stern Glands

Hi I have been experiencing a leaking stern gland recently and am using a lot of grease to stop it, so I think it is about time I changed the packing in the gland. The shaft is 38mm and the OD of the pusher is 52mm. Subtracting the shaft from the pusher gives me a gap of 14 mm, divide this by 2 to give the actual gap gives 7mm. I cannot find any 7mm gland packing anywhere so far, only 6 and 8mm. My query is: - Is it better to use the 6mm and hope that compressing it will fill the gap, or to use the 8mm and force it into the gap. None of these seem to be the right solution, do you have any thoughts on this matter. Thanks Trevor

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:20am

Post Subject: Stern Glands

Try measuring it in imperial units. I bet its 1/4". It is even possible that a metric shaft has been fitted into an imperial gland. Although you could roll 8mm packing flat so it is wider then 8mm but only 6mm thick I think that I would use 6mm packing to save struggling to get it into the gap. I am sure it will squash down to take up the space. Are you sure simple adjustment will not solve the issue, it all depends upon how much free length is left on the pusher. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.