Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:45pm

Post Subject: stove

hi I have removed my torgem stove because it was cracked and worn out and now having a boatman stove the question is on the roof I have a tapered oak block that the collar sits in but it is the wrong size for the new collar also it has split can you recommend any where I can get a tapered packer so as to keep my chimney as straight as possible when it leaves the roof

stove
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:23am

I doubt any "professional" outfit would sell you a wooden block for that purpose because of potential fire risks. I am also not sure I would be happy trying to seal with the different thermal and damp expansions of wood and metal. If it must be wood then talk to local hard wood timber merchants and fabricate one yourself. Are you aware that chimney collars with the flange set at an angle to the chimney axis are available specifically for this. Mine came form Limehouse Chandlers but I am sure most sell them. Tony Brooks

cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:12pm

it has had this block on since the boat was built and it has been fine but I suppose mr health and safty man will not allow it these days

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:40pm

It will be fine unless you get the stove running away or have a significant chimney fire. There is also BS8511 that now dictates best practise (its not mandatory though). The point is that anyone who the law deems a "professional" would be deemed to have taken that BS and the risk of fire into account when doing suppling the item. This then brings its "fitness for purpose" into question and if there was a fire the supplier could be facing a very large bill, especially if anyone died. If anyone was seriously injured or killed then the HSE would be very interested if the block was implicated. I suspect this would also apply to you as a non-professional, especially as the danger and now the BS has been brought to your attention. Anyway, that's my back covered. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.