Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Chuffer
Chuffer

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:33pm

Post Subject: Long Term Renting vs Buying

Next year my wife and I have an aspiration of either long term hiring (if such a thing exists) or buying a narrowboat with the intention of cruising the canal system from late April to early October. We've had a few narrowboat holidays both with and without our children. Now that they have flown the nest, and my wife retires at the end of December, next summer seems to be an ideal time to do it. Initially we thought about hiring but after visiting Crick and other boat shows and talking to a number of people the message seems to be to buy then sell when we have finished. Any advice and pointing out the pro's, con's and especially the pitfalls would be most welcome. Nigel

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:26am

I hope other readers will give their views as well but after overnight thought. First of all you would be very ill advised to go for an unofficial "private" hire. There are licensing, insurance and lower Boat Safety Scheme and gas regulation implications. You need quotes from as many hire fleets as you can get. Many sell a few boats each year and may be happy to offer a good deal for a long term hire like this. Hiring should include breakdown cover and you also know your financial commitment. Buying and then selling could well work out cheaper but there is no guarantee of the price you will get or how long the sale will take. Hire boats tend to have more beds and less storage than may be suitable for your use (although we are very happy with an ex hireboat). It also occurs to me that hire boats will probably have heating systems that are more expensive to run where as private boats often use solid fuel/wood burning stoves and I am sure you will need heating at either end of the period you mention. Hire boats tend to be easier to maintain because some thought is given to access for service and repair. Tony Brooks

Chuffer
Chuffer

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:10am

Many thanks for the constructive response to my posting. I hope other forum members will add to the discussion. Nigel

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:12pm

Try asking on the Canal World Internet Forum. General boating would be the the place.

Chuffer
Chuffer

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:35pm

Dear Tony, Thanks for the advice. I've joined the forum you recommend (that's something I've learnt which I didn't know about!) and posted the same message as above with additions. After carrying out a search on that forum and taking on board (no pun) the pitfall you pointed out of not doing everything legal there is no way I would want to expose us to anything likely to cause us a problem. Nigel

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.