Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
iandmiller
iandmiller

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:56pm

Post Subject: Oil Pressure warning light on Isuzu 42

Hello. I have a 2005 60ft narrowboat with an Isuzu 42 engine and PRM150 gearbox. The engine starts and works fine, but occasionally the oil pressure warning light flickers on and the buzzer sounds when the engine is ticking over (it stops again when more revs are applied). This only seems to occur after the engine has been cruising for 20-30mins and stops occuring again once the engine has been run for 60-75 mins. It also only seems to occur intermittantly, for example if we are out for a week, it might only occur a couple of times during the week with the timings as above. The engine only has a standard instrument panel, i.e. rev counter and warning lights but no oil pressure or temperature gauge. The engine is serviced annually by RCR and covers about 180 hours between oil changes. Any idea what the problem might be and should I be worried? Thanks for your help. Regards.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:37am

I am going to assume the oil you use is "thick" enough for the engine and the oil filter is not some Indian type fake. Both should be OK as RCR service the engine. There are four other things that could cause this. The one I would suspect is that the oil pressure warning lamp switch is faulty. These are normally fairly cheap so it is usually easier to replace it and see if the problem is solved. The other possibilities are:- An intermittent short circuit on the wire between the lamp and oil pressure switch on the engine so have a look around for signs of chafed wires. An oil pressure relief valve jammed open but this usually causes the problem every time you drop to idle with a hot engine. Finally wear in the engine itself or the oil pump but I very much doubt this should be even considered at this time. Tony Brooks

iandmiller
iandmiller

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:09pm

Thanks Tony. I'll check for chaffed wires and try replacing the oil pressure sensor/switch as the first option. Kind regards, Ian

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.61 seconds.