Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
petewill0
petewill0

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:46pm

Post Subject: Wiring

I have recently rewired my 12 volt fridge with new 6 mm wire direct to the batteries with in line fuse. My question is: Does all the wiring have to be fixed to floor or walls with cable clips over the whole run?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:12pm

I am going to assume this is an inland boat and thus subject to the Boat Safety Scheme. I know what the fridge instructions often say but at the moment however you run the cables the boat is in breach of the scheme. You seem to have wired the fridge so it can not be isolated by the battery master switch. A few items are allowed to be so wired but the fridge is not one of them. You will find the regulations here: http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination /private-boats/. They seem to have removed the recommended support intervals but I would support or secure at 300mm intervals. There are also regulations in respect of how close an electrical cable can be to fuel and gas pipes. Tony Brooks

petewill0
petewill0

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:11pm

Thanks for reply Tony. Yes you are correct the boat is a 60 foot narrowboat. It will need it's first BSS examination in April. From your comments can I assume that I could fit an in-line battery isolator switch to comply with the regulations? If so would it need to be in an accessible position or could I put it near to the battery bank (in side locker).

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:57pm

Unless you have bought a lemon there should be no need to do that. Simply take the feed from the switched side of the existing master switch. If the builder fitted a single master switch in the negative lead (poor practise nut often done to save buying two switches) then move the fridge's negative lead from the battery to the switched side of the master switch. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.